Monday, May 23, 2016

How to style a big side braid + instant mermaid hair

Hair Romance - How to style a big side braid hair tutorial

I love big braids and I cannot lie! This big side braid tutorial is the hair I always wanted but could never achieve on my own.

I have always dreamt of having mermaid length hair but sadly, my curly coloured hair never seems to grow super long. Then when it does, it shrinks back up into curls. The struggle is real.

Then I decided to try clip-in extensions. Instant mermaid hair!

Hair Romance - How to style a big side braid with extensions

I was kindly sent some extensions from Irresistible Me hair extensions and I’m really impressed with the quality and how well they blend in with my hair straight out of the box. I’m wearing the Royal Remy Honey Blonde extensions 20″ set.

I feel like there’s a lot of questions around choosing the right hair extensions so I’ll do a full post on that separately. Please leave me any questions in the comments that you have about hair extensions.

One thing I did want to mention before we get to the tutorial is that this set contains A LOT of hair. I couldn’t wear it all at once! I have thick hair but if you have fine hair, there is one large clip in piece that you could probably just wear on its own.

Also, wearing this much hair is heavy! It took some getting used to and I felt like I had to learn how to do my hair all over again. In photos it seems ok but in real life, my hair felt enormous! I think I had underestimated what it would be like to be a mermaid. I’m happy to not have that much hair to deal with every day and being able to clip it in and out easily is a much better solution.

Now onto the braid tutorial!

Big side braid hairstyle tutorial

Hair Romance - The big side braid tutorial

What you’ll need:

  • Long hair, or clip in hair extensions
  • Small clear hair elastic

Step-by-step tutorial:

  1. Part your hair on the right. Then take a one-two inch section of hair from next to your part and split it into three equal sections.
  2. Begin your Dutch braid by bringing the right section under the middle, and the left section under the right. Then add some hair to the middle piece (now on the right side) and bring it under.
  3. Continue your braid, adding in more hair. Repeat the step above, adding in hair from the left side and bringing that section under into the middle.
  4. Position the braid close to your hairline. Add in smaller sections of hair from your hairline and pick up larger sections on the right side. Each section comes across from the back of your head to join the braid.
  5. Keep braiding and once you’ve added all your hair to the braid, finish in a regular three-strand braid over your left shoulder.
  6. Now to make it really big! Stretch out your braid to make your hair look thicker. Hold the end of your braid with one hand, then use the other hand to pull at the sides of the braid to stretch it out. Swap hands and repeat stretching the other side of the braid. Keep going until you get the volume you want.
  7. Then tie it off. Secure the end of your braid with a small clear hair elastic. I’ve looped the ends of my hair up in the band for a different look.

Hair Romance - How to style a big side braid hairstyle tutorial

Styling tips

  • I’m planning a full post on using clip in extensions, but with this braid, be careful adding in sections across the back of your head so that you don’t reveal the clips.
  • Keep stretching at your braid. You’ll get your hair to be bigger than you think. Go that bit further!
  • Leave some loose pieces of hair around your face to soften the look.

Hair Romance - How to style a big side braid

So tell me, have you tried hair extensions? What questions do you have about wearing and styling clip-in extensions?

The post How to style a big side braid + instant mermaid hair appeared first on Hair Romance.



from Hair Romance http://ift.tt/1WO0N6H

No comments:

Post a Comment