Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Work, Play, and Nothing.

Earlier this month was the 8 year anniversary of starting this site.

8. Years.

I still can’t believe it.

But you know what is even harder for me to believe?

The fact that, all week I tried to write a blog post commemorating the anniversary and I couldn’t do it.

Every time I sat down to write, I hit a block and wasn’t sure what to write about.

This past Saturday I had a big realization, though.

I’d just gotten back from the gym, was laying on my bed, and couldn’t motivate myself to do anything.

Like even all of the fun weekend stuff like happy hour or beautiful hikes in the Columbia River Gorge.

Nothing.

And you know what my realization was?

For months, I hadn’t given myself permission to do nothing. 

I’ve taken on a few new ventures lately, and while I’m excited about all of them, there’s always been something I could or should be doing.

So every single day since the beginning of the year, I haven’t given myself permission to take time off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had plenty of days where I haven’t done much work, but it was never without the underlying “I should be working” thoughts.

As a lifestyle entrepreneur, this can be the kiss of death.

The whole point of building a business like this is so that you can enjoy doing the things you like to do.

But in order for that to work there has to be boundaries.

I’m totally fine if you want to work 7 days a week, most of the time I do – but if you’re going to do that, you need to go just as all in on your play as you do your work.

And sometimes? You have to ok with just doing nothing.

I was beating myself up about it all day, until my epiphany hit, where I finally said: “you know what? This is ok.”

And then I fell into a delightful sun-drenched slumber for 45 minutes before the rain came back (I swear it’s a never ending thing these days.)

Work is a good thing. It’s what has enabled me to live such a privileged and enjoyable life.

READ: How to Get Everything You Want in Life

But play is good as well, and you need to give it the respect it deserves.

The sooner you can separate work and play in a lifestyle that is brimming full of overlap, the sooner you’ll be able to enjoy both to their fullest – and all of the rewards that go along it.

Thank you so much for being a reader of Location Rebel.

8 years is a long time in the internet world, and I just feel fortunate that while so many things have changed in the world, this site and the people I’ve met through it have remained a wonderful constant.

Here’s to you, and to the next 8 years full of work, play, and occasionally? Nothing.

The post Work, Play, and Nothing. appeared first on Location Rebel.



from Location Rebel http://ift.tt/2qLlvct

No comments:

Post a Comment