Thursday, September 15, 2016

Backpacking Tips and Tricks: Carrying a Backup Spoon

Eating hot cereal is problematic when you leave your backpacking spoon at home.
Eating hot cereal is problematic when you leave your backpacking spoon at home.

"Oh crap. I forgot to bring my spoon," said a backpacker I'd just met at the campsite. I know that exact feeling. I've left my big plastic backpacking spoon at home on the drying rack next to the kitchen sink too many times to count. After a long day of hiking, it's a bummer when you discover that you don't have any eating utensils to shovel hot food into your mouth.

The solution: carry a backup spoon. I always carry a small, plastic-wrapped spoon in my food bag so I'm never without. I pick them up at coffee shops and keep one in my food bag, along with the staples that I keep in it between trips: a few bouillon cubs for adding salt to soupy meals, a couple of packs of tea and sugar, and two tic tac boxes containing spices.

"I have an extra spoon if you want it," I said, handing her my extra spoon. "Keep it." I think I made a new friend for life that day.

Spare plastic spoons like this are easy to pick up at coffee shops are fast food restaurants.
Spare plastic spoons like this are easy to pick up at coffee shops are fast food restaurants.

On long multi-week hikes, it's not uncommon for me to carry several extra plastic spoons. I scarf a few every time I buy a coffee in town and drop them into my food bag. They weigh basically nothing and it's nice to have a hermetically sealed, clean spoon when my main spoon is getting grotty.

I still prefer eating with a long-handled plastic spoon ($1 buck at my local REI – probably the least expensive thing in the store.) It's nice and durable, not flimsy at all. But they've stopped selling it.

Yes, I pack for my fears. The fear of backpacking without a spoon. An army marches on its stomach.

           


from Sectionhiker.com http://ift.tt/2crsttL

No comments:

Post a Comment