Wednesday, May 23, 2018

IndieView with Kyle Bagsby, author of Autumn Eternal

Why yes I do, and it goes something like: incredible breakthrough, coffee, concern, amazed at my own thoughts, more coffee, hate my own thoughts, utter despair, bliss, cascading confusion, wing it, stronger coffee, and done. 

Kyle Bagsby – 23 May 2018

The Back Flap

Of all the places to grow up, Kip Carringer spent his youth in the secluded little town of Arno. Strange things were common there but no one seemed to notice, except for Kip that is. There was a witch living in the woods and all year long it was Autumn. And as if that's not strange enough, all the birds around the town and through the woods mooed like cows, instead of chirping or squawking like birds are supposed to do.

Kip was determined to uncover the secrets of the town, all while trying to convince his best friend Marleigh that he wasn't crazy. However, unknown to Kip, adventure was waiting for him just around the corner. Adventure that would be filled with pie stealing creatures and a dark, dark looming shadow.

About the book

What is the book about?

Autumn Eternal is book one of The Fantastical Stories Told Beneath the Willow Tree series, which includes a collection of stand alone middle grade fantasy books. Each book can be read separately, but they form a bigger story when read together. In Autumn Eternal, we meet Kip Carringer who is determined to uncover the secrets within his town with the help of his best friend Marleigh Belle. Along, the way they run into some trouble, and end up having to more or less save the world from certain doom.

When did you start writing the book?

Started writing Autumn Eternal in November of '17.

How long did it take you to write it?

The writing process took around four months and it took another month of editing and formatting to bring it to completion.

Where did you get the idea from?

I went from writing epic fantasy to children's literature because I had a change of heart. Many of the ideas and concepts came from another project I was working on and the rest mostly fell into place.

Were there any parts of the book where you struggled?

At times I struggled to make the characters feel real. I strived to create characters that kids could relate to.

What came easily?

The story, once I got it started it basically told itself.

Are your characters entirely fictitious or have you borrowed from real world people you know?

The main characters are 100% made up; however, some of the supporting characters were pulled from people I know or have known.

We all know how important it is for writers to read. Are there any particular authors that have influenced how you write and, if so, how have they influenced you?

As far as writers go, Neil Gaiman is my hero. I'm really not sure how he influenced me, but I'm sure there's some of him in there. I will say he played a part in motivating me to finish this book.

Do you have a target reader?

Autumn Eternal is recommended for children ages 8-12 and grades 4-8. Adults will enjoy it as well.

About Writing

Do you have a writing process? If so can you please describe it?

Why yes I do, and it goes something like: incredible breakthrough, coffee, concern, amazed at my own thoughts, more coffee, hate my own thoughts, utter despair, bliss, cascading confusion, wing it, stronger coffee, and done.

In all seriousness, I like to write rather freely. If I get stuck, I will immediately jump to something I know I'm ready to write, and then I'll go back later and fill in the blanks. I try and save most of the editing for the end because I'll drive myself crazy if I try to edit while I'm writing.

Do you outline? If so, do you do so extensively or just chapter headings and a couple of sentences?

I'll do chapter headings and a few sentences. And as referenced in the aforementioned question, if I get hung up somewhere I'll jump to a spot where I know I can write without it affecting something I haven't finished.

Do you edit as you go or wait until you've finished?

Apparently, I'm really getting ahead of myself. I don't want to wait to edit but for my sanity to remain intact I must wait.

Did you hire a professional editor?

I'm going to claim to be a semi-professional editor, I have a background in education and I can sit back and see my work for what it is most of the time. And then there's the part where I don't always play well with others. I do thoroughly enjoy constructive criticism though, and I would rather hear what you dislike about it and why than hear praise.

Do you listen to music while you write? If yes, what gets the fingers tapping?

Rarely, music usually distracts me and then I tend to write in whatever mood the music is in rather than letting the story progress.

About Publishing

Did you submit your work to Agents?

I sure did, submitted Autumn Eternal to A LOT of agents.

What made you decide to go Indie, whether self-publishing or with an indie publisher? Was it a particular event or a gradual process?

I decided to go indie when I got my first offer from a publisher…it was horrible. Indie was my back up plan and I was going to leave it on the market for a while, but when that happened I declined and decided it was time to go solo.

Did you get your book cover professionally done or did you do it yourself?

Yevhen Karpenko created the cover and illustrated the book. There are 16 illustrations within the pages of Autumn Eternal and they are fantastic, you should go see for yourself. There are some samples on the Facebook page.

Do you have a marketing plan for the book or are you just winging it?

A little of both, as of today (April) Autumn Eternal is sitting at #255 on Amazon in Children's Fantasy, and that's a number that I am proud of. If only I could move up 254 spots and my book would be next to Harry Potter. I have a growing fan base that I am very thankful for.

Any advice that you would like to give to other newbies considering becoming Indie authors?

Slow and steady, don't expect immediate results. People are often weary of independent publishing and you have to gain some trust with people to get them to look into your work. And don't be afraid to ask for help.

End of Interview:

For more from Kyle, like his Facebook page.

Get your copy of Autumn Eternal from Amazon US or Amazon UK.



from The IndieView https://ift.tt/2IHVzoP

No comments:

Post a Comment