Sunday, May 27, 2018

IndieView with Steven Storrie, author of The Northern Sunset

I don’t target people, I target truths.

Steven Storrie – 27 May 2018

The Back Flap

One thing I learned. Never share coffee with your heroes. I was in a shabby diner with the greatest writer of his generation when two masked men burst in wielding guns. In what I couldn’t help but think to be conspicuous clothing for a daytime robbery the assailants, wearing fluorescent ski masks and camouflage jackets, waved their weapons over the crowd and told everyone to BE STILL. I remember looking at the guns, then at the half-finished coffee we hadn’t yet paid for, then back to the guns, and feeling like, if nothing else, that was some sort of victory at the time.

About the book

What is the book about?

It’s a book about transition and emotions that only flow one way. It’s a book about heart and soul, blood and thunder, truth and consequence. It’s about having the guts to be bold in life and go for what you really want, rather than hanging back shyly in the shadows and hoping things still go your way. It’s about living in a sleazy motel and all the crazies that you’re forced to spend time with. It’s about her.

When did you start writing the book?

I started writing the book about a year ago. I worked at it on and off while completing other projects, which is why it has ended up coming out so swiftly after my poetry collection, Yours Sincerely, Axl Rose.

How long did it take you to write it?

If condensed into one period of time it probably took 4-6 weeks to complete, start to finish.

Where did you get the idea from?

It’s a true story, with a twist of exaggeration. I always wanted to write a ‘motel’ novel, similar to something Tom Waits might write, or Charles Bukowski. In fact, the book has been described as being like Chuck Palahniuk and Charles Bukowski going on holiday together. I’ll take that.

Were there any parts of the book where you struggled?

I wanted to convey images and emotions that were diamond sharp, with a brevity of language. It was a constant process of refinement. And I wanted the pace to be right, not plod along too much but not zip by without impact, either. The hardest thing was capturing the essence of the lead female character, presenting her in the way I wanted her to be seen, and accurately depicting the dynamic between her and the narrator, with all that was going on underneath.

What came easily?

All the stuff that wasn’t to do with the two main characters and their relationship came easily. All the motel scenes, the characters, and the recurring ‘two things I earned’ pieces that closed each chapter.

Are your characters entirely fictitious or have you borrowed from real world people you know?

Some are real, some not. I’ll let people guess which is which.

We all know how important it is for writers to read. Are there any particular authors that have influenced how you write and, if so, how have they influenced you?

I’ve already mentioned Palahniuk and Bukowski as influences on this book. The writers that have had the greatest influence on my writing overall have been Ernest Hemingway, Henry Miller, Hunter S Thompson, Jack Kerouac, Albert Camus and Irvine Welsh.

Do you have a target reader?

Anybody who enjoys good writing, wild characters, and a little insight into the human condition. I don’t target people, I target truths.

About Writing

Do you have a writing process? If so can you please describe it?

Ideally I’ll sit somewhere quiet with a cup of coffee (black, thank you), read over and reply to some emails to warm up, then read over what I wrote the day before to get back into the character and the style of writing I’m working on, then I’ll write for around 3-4 hours, or just until I hit the wall. Hemingway always stopped at a point where he knew what came next, that way when he sat down the next day he wasn’t stuck for what to write. I try to incorporate that idea too.

Do you outline? If so, do you do so extensively or just chapter headings and a couple of sentences?

I don’t outline. When I write I want it to be the real thing, not a rehearsal. I’ll have the idea already, then I’ll just start spilling it onto the page.

Do you edit as you go or wait until you’ve finished?

I edit as I go, while I’m reading over the stuff from the day before.

Do you listen to music while you write? If yes, what gets the fingers tapping?

I try to listen to music that reflects the story and the style I’m working on at that time. So, for this one it was a lot of high octane stuff for some parts, a lot of Tom Waits in others. When I’m editing I do it with the music off, so I can try to get a sense of whether I’ve got the right mood and pace for what I’m trying to say. But generally, it’s anything that gets that adrenaline pumping. I don’t think feeling sluggish and lazy is conducive to good writing. Fast. And loud.

About Publishing

Did you submit your work to Agents?

I didn’t, but that is going to be the next step.

What made you decide to go Indie, whether self-publishing or with an indie publisher? Was it a particular event or a gradual process?

I was specifically approached by the publisher to see if I would be interested in writing something for them. I already had the book sitting there, largely complete, and it just seemed to fit.

Did you get your book cover professionally done or did you do it yourself?

I chose the image and the publisher took care of the rest. The cover is actually a drawing by the talented artist, Marcel Herms.

Do you have a marketing plan for the book or are you just winging it?

I just want to put it into as many hands as possible. The work will take care of the rest. I’m a writer, not an advertising executive.

Any advice that you would like to give to other newbies considering becoming Indie authors?

Believe in yourself, but assess yourself honestly. Do the work. Read A LOT. And never give up. If you’re good enough and you want it badly enough, you’ll get there.

About You

Where did you grow up?

In Middlesbrough, a small steel town in the north of England.

Where do you live now?

My own world, most of the time. I’d recommend everyone else live in theirs, too.

What would you like readers to know about you?

I’m not what’s important, the writing is. I care about being great at this more than anything else in the world. It’s my reason for getting up on a morning and drawing breath. I want the writing to do the talking. If there’s anything they’re still desperate to know about me, I’m more than happy to answer.

End of Interview:

Get your copy of The Northern Sunset from Amazon US or Amazon UK.



from The IndieView https://ift.tt/2L1lBEj

No comments:

Post a Comment