Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Why I don’t follow the Curly Girl Method

Why I dont follow the curly girl method - Hair Romance

If you haven't heard of the Curly Girl Method, then this post might be confusing.

If you're a devotee of the Curly Girl Method (known as CG) then you also might be confused about why I won't follow it.

To say I was a little reticent to post this would be an understatement…

When we start talking about curly hair, it can become quite an emotional topic.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and I'm sure there'll be some comments and conversation below. And I ask you to please be respectful. Everyone's hair is individual and remember after all, it's just hair.

What is the "Curly Girl" Method?

The "Curly Girl" method is based on the book "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. You can find it here on Amazon.

To summarise the Curly Girl routine can be difficult. But in essence, Lorraine wants you to avoid:

  • sulphates
  • silicones and
  • any drying alcohols in your hair.

She doesn't advocate the use of any heat, though diffusing on low heat can sometimes be okay.

She also recommends using lots of deep conditioning treatments. On that point we definitely agree!

Why I don't follow the Curly Girl routine?

Click here if you can't see the video above

I ramble a bit, because I'm really trying to not offend anyone who is obsessed with this routine.

The Curly Girl Method is too restrictive

This method is not for me because I find it too restrictive.

I like to use what works for me and my hair loves silicones.

I'm all for reading the labels and understanding what you are putting on your hair, but I get really frustrated by the Curly Girl community. Many have never read the book but insist that they're using "natural" products. Just because it doesn't contain silicone, doesn't make it natural.

The more you understand your own hair, the easier it is to find the products that are going to work for you.

And shampoo is not a dirty word.

My hair is anything but natural

I absolutely adore my curly hair but I think hair should be fun.

My hair is obviously not pink naturally, and neither is it blonde naturally anymore. I love to colour my hair and sticking to the Curly Girl routine isn't going to work for me.

The Curly Girl routine is too complicated

You can have a simple curl routine but there's but there's still always going to be multiple steps.

I can't see how it's not easier just to blow dry my hair straight, especially when I'm travelling. Some days I need my hair to be predictable and heat styling come into that.

There's not enough variety in the Curly Girl Method

The rules of the Curly Girl community are so strict! I've seen people kicked out for mentioning shampoo.

I'm not going to get mad if you want to use a serum or shampoo your hair.

You don't need to suddenly throw all of your hair products away because they don't fit with this Curly Girl Method. Instead, find a way to create your own version.

A final word

I think the Curly Girl book is fantastic and a must read for curlies like me. It really helps you understand your curls.

I choose not to follow the Curly Girl method because I love my hair and I like to do all sorts of different things with it. It's okay to find your own way and to create your own routine.

Just have fun with your hair!

Do you follow the Curly Girl Method?

Tell me about your hair routine in the comments below, I really love to hear what works for your hair.

The post Why I don't follow the Curly Girl Method appeared first on Hair Romance.



from Hair Romance https://ift.tt/2pMOkn4

No comments:

Post a Comment