Sunday, August 5, 2018

IndieView with Diane Davies, author of Life in the Neck: New Friends

I open myself to ideas and images and walk. The story ideas come to me during this time as well as solutions to the problems arising in my writing. After I finish walking for the day, I use a yellow paper pad and jot down my thinking so as not to lose it.  

Diane Davies – 8 August 2018

The Back Flap

Welcome to life in the Neck, a beautiful place where animals form unbreakable connections. In this book, Delaney, Rocket, and Cardinal Red meet and learn about friendship and cooperation, and the busy world around them. But when danger comes to the Neck, will their bond be strong enough to beat it?

Book 1 Life in the Neck: New Friends is the first book in this enchanting new series by Diane Davies and illustrated by Margarita Sikorskaia published by Beaver's Pond Press in Edina, Minnesota. The series will focus on learning about the animals making their home in this neck of the woods in Minnesota as well as the meaning of friendship and cooperation.

About the book

What is the book about?

Life in the Neck: New Friends tells the story of how a fawn, a rabbit, and a cardinal meet in the Neck, learn about each other's habits and way of life, and become fast friends.  Through friendship they learn about cooperation and the busy world around them.  But when danger comes to the Neck, will their bond be strong enough to beat it?

When did you start writing the book?

I started writing this book just over a year and a half ago.

How long did it take you to write it?

The actual story came rather quickly.  I'd say I had it pretty well polished off in about two weeks.

Where did you get the idea from?

We live in a most beautiful part of southern Minnesota along the banks of the St. Croix River overlooking Wisconsin.  Our road or driveway, nearly a half mile long, runs through our long narrow strip of land known as the neck.  I try and walk the length of the drive, back and forth, until I've covered a couple of miles.  Not every day mind you, but at least a few times per week to help keep my blood sugar under control.  A bit of open forest land turning into thick forest takes up one side of the drive. A row of large pine trees frames either a corn or soybean field, depending on the year, on the other side, which ends in a wooded area on top of the river bluff.  As you can imagine, the Neck is teeming with wildlife.  As I walk, I'm privileged to see glimpses of their life in the Neck.  My imagination takes hold and away I go creating the story in my head.

Were there any parts of the book where you struggled?

Old Coyote is present throughout the story watching for an opportunity for lunch.  I struggled with how to make him an ally instead of an adversary.

What came easily?

The personalities of the characters came easily.

Are your characters entirely fictitious or have you borrowed from real world people you know?

My characters are of course fictitious but every once in a while I see a bit of someone I know in their traits and behaviors.

We all know how important it is for writers to read. Are there any particular authors that have influenced how you write and, if so, how have they influenced you?

I'm a huge fan of Douglas Wood, environmentalist and Minnesota author of children's books like Old Turtle, Paddle Whispers, and Granddad's Prayers of the Earth.  His work holds a true reverence for the natural world around us and always teaches his audience a valuable truth.  My hope is that my writing will provide lessons in nature and in living.

Do you have a target reader?

Yes, my target readers are ages 5 through 8.

About Writing

Do you have a writing process? If so can you please describe it?

I open myself to ideas and images and walk.  The story ideas come to me during this time as well as solutions to the problems arising in my writing.  After I finish walking for the day, I use a yellow paper pad and jot down my thinking so as not to lose it.  Then I open the computer and get started.  Mornings seem to be my best writing time unless life gets in the way.  Late at night when all is quiet works for me also.

Do you outline? If so, do you do so extensively or just chapter headings and a couple of sentences? 

My outlines are very sketchy.  I use vague chapter/topic headings and one word reminders of ideas to include in my writing.

Do you edit as you go or wait until you've finished?

With English as my minor, I seem to edit as I write.  Many changes get made after the story emerges on the paper however.  I guess I'm continually editing what I write.

Did you hire a professional editor?

I'm publishing with Beaver's Pond Press in Edina, Minnesota.  They do use a professional editor.

Do you listen to music while you write? If yes, what gets the fingers tapping?

I do not listen to anything but what is inside my head when I write.  I prefer it to be quiet on the outside as much is happening inside and I don't want to miss it.

About Publishing

Did you submit your work to Agents?

No, I did not.  I went into the project knowing I would use an indie publisher.

What made you decide to go Indie, whether self-publishing or with an indie publisher? Was it a particular event or a gradual process?

My first book, From There to Here; A Breast Cancer Journey, I did send out and I did receive an offer to publish.  I don't even remember the name of the publisher.  After reading through the contract, I couldn't agree to the terms.  It was, after all, my life and my story.  I felt like I was selling it off to some company who didn't or wouldn't even care.  From that point on, I decided to go Indie.

Did you get your book cover professionally done or did you do it yourself?

My book cover was professionally done by Margarita Sikorskaia, the illustrator.

Do you have a marketing plan for the book or are you just winging it?

I have somewhat of a marketing plan that seems to keep growing daily.  The marketing is much more work than the writing.

Any advice that you would like to give to other newbies considering becoming Indie authors?

Go for it.  Everyone's story has a right to be told.

About You

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Old Cottage Grove, Minnesota where I attended a two room country school house through sixth grade.

Where do you live now?

I live in rural Hastings, Minnesota with my husband Butch. We are both retired and enjoy spending time with our family at home and at our lake home on Rainy Lake in Ontario. You'll find us at home on the St. Croix River on our boat called "Fiddle Fartin' Around." Our daughter and family live next door making it handy for watching the two grandchildren.

What would you like readers to know about you?

I live in the Neck, right next to the animals making their home there.  You'll find me in one of the Neck's two houses with my husband, Papa Butch, and right next door to my granddaughter Elsie and grandson Eli, and their mom & dad. I love my role as Gramma Diane and my entire family enjoys our life on the St. Croix River.

Now some other boring stuff that you might like to know about me.  I am a breast cancer survivor and activist, wife, mother, grandmother, former schoolteacher, author, former executive director of Circle in the Field: Peer Support for Breast Cancer, and a Bush Leadership Fellow, 2011-2013.

What are you working on now?

I'm currently working on a couple of things; Life in the Neck; Squirrel Trouble, Book 2 in the series, and Jeannie Ann's Grandma Has Breast Cancer.  Both children's books are in the works in that the illustrators are busy working adding the pictures to my stories.  Margarita Sikorskaia is illustrating Squirrel Trouble and C.A. Nobens is working on Jeannie Ann's story.  I'm so excited to share both of them with you soon.

End of Interview:

Get your copy of Life in the Neck: New Friends from Amazon US or Amazon UK.



from The IndieView https://ift.tt/2AEyqnK

No comments:

Post a Comment